At a glance
Approx 45 minutes
- 6 very ripe Gourmet tomatoes
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 large leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- hot pepper flakes to taste
- Wash tomatoes and place in a large bowl, cover with boiling water and let sit for approximately 10 minutes. Remove skin (carefully, as it will be hot) and squeeze out excess water.
- Remove seeds and any white or yellow flesh, then cut into small pieces.
- In a medium-sized high sided frying pan add olive oil, tomatoes, garlic, oregano, salt, chopped basil leaves and hot pepper flakes if desired .
- Mix together and then squash gently with a fork, cook uncovered on medium heat until thickened. While the sauce is cooking occasionally gently squash with a wooden spoon or fork.
- Simmer for approximately 20 – 25 minutes.
- Serve as a sauce with sausage rolls, or use as a pasta sauce.