- Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
- Remove the stems and simmer the oranges in water for an hour or until soft. Remove from water.
- Cut into quarters and puree in the blender until mostly smooth, skin and all.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until pale and thick.
- Add the baking powder, castor sugar and almond meal to the egg mix and then fold in the orange puree.
- Grease and line the bottom of a spring form cake tin and pour in the mixture, top with the almonds and bake for 50 minutes or until the middle feels firm to touch.
- Let it cool in the tin for 30 minutes.
To make the caramelised oranges:
- Heat the butter and honey in a fry pan. When heated place the orange slices in the fry pan in one layer and cook until golden brown. Turn the slices over and repeat on the other side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the orange juice and cook until caramelised. Add a touch more butter and honey if needed. Set aside.
- Layer the orange slices on top of the cake, pour the caramel syrup over.
Storage: in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week.