At a glance
Approx 45 minutes
- 1kg gourmet tomatoes
- A few sprigs of thyme, or 1tsp of dried thyme
- 6 cloves fresh garlic
- 2 medium brown onions, large diced.
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Slice all the tomatoes in half and place flesh side up on a baking tray. Generously sprinkle with salt and pepper, then turn over to flesh side down.
- Drizzle tomatoes with olive oil, then add the garlic and thyme.
- Roast in the oven for 30mins at 200°C. For a richer flavour, try roasting at a lower temperature, for longer. Remove from the oven.
- In a frying pan, melt the butter and fry the onions over medium heat until caramelized.
- Stir in the tomato puree and cook for a minute or so, then deglaze the pan with a splash of balsamic vinegar.
- Pour in the roasted tomatoes and garlic, add your stock and basil, then allow to simmer.
- Blend with a hand blender until desired texture, using more stock to thin out as necessary.