There are so many interesting ways to enjoy oranges, apart from making orange peel smiles! Here is a list of 10 very easy uses for the humble orange.
- Orange Ice Cubes: Peel orange and remove seeds. Blend or juice the flesh and pour into an ice cube tray. These will keep in the freezer for about 3 months. Simply pop into a cold drink for a little extra boost of flavour and vitamins!
- As a dessert with coconut chocolate sauce: Peel and slice oranges and removes seeds. Cut into small chunks and place divide into bowls. Combine 1/2 cup coconut cream with 125g dark couverture chocolate in a saucepan and stir over low heat until smooth. Allow the sauce to cool to room temperature before pouring over the orange pieces and enjoy!
- Add to salad: Peel and cut into rounds, then add to any green salad. The juicy sweetness will completely transform the dish.
- Orange Peel Tea: In a small saucepan, place the peel of one orange into boiling water, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve as a tea to relieve headaches.
- Orange pancakes: Replace the milk in your pancake batter with orange juice for a yummy, dairy free alternative.
- Orange Cake with Orange Icing: This is the perfect recipe for making use of those juicy oranges. Click here to view.
- Add a zing to your morning oats: You can either add a chopped up orange to your morning porridge, or you can replace the water with orange juice when cooking the oats.
- Orange Icypoles: Blend freshly squeezed orange juice with your favourite fruits, pour into icypole moulds and freeze. Try using raspberries, strawberries, apple juice or watermelon as a starting point.
- Bake with Brussels sprouts: Click here for the recipe that uses cut oranges, baked with Brussels sprouts and bacon to create an incredibly flavoursome side dish.
- Brighten up a beef stew: Using a vegetable peeler, scrape a few generous orange peels into any beef stew for an extra burst of subtle flavour. Be sure to remove the peels before serving.
Of course, nothing beats cutting up an orange into wedges to enjoy any time of the day!