At a glance
Approx 30 minutes
Serves 4 people
- 4 large onions sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 puff pastry sheet (defrosted in the fridge)
- Brie cheese diced (as much as you like)
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary or thyme
- To caramelise the onions, heat oil in a large deep pan on medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for about 10 minutes or until wilted and starting to brown. Add sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat and cook gently, uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until richly caramelized. Add a little water if the onions look like they are starting to dry out. Once done, set aside to cool.
- Place pastry on a baking sheet lined withbaking paper. Prick with a fork at 5cm increments to prevent the pastry from forming big bubbles while baking.
- Spread onions over pastry, all the way to the edges of the pastry. Dot with Brie cheese. Sprinkle with herbs. Refrigerate if not baking immediately.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180° for 15-20 minutes or until cheese has melted and pastry is crispy. Allow to cool and cut into wedges or squares and enjoy!