At a glance
Approx 1 hour 15 mins
Serves 6 people
- 6 Hot cross buns, a little stale is better.
- 100g Unsalted butter plus extra for greasing your dish
- 200ml Double cream
- 250ml milk
- 3 Eggs
- 50g Caster sugar
- 2tsp Ground cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 170C.
- Cut the hot cross buns in half and butter each half. Reserve the ‘tops’ and chop the rest into small chunks. Put the chunks into a buttered baking dish.
- Mix the cream, milk, eggs, sugar and cinnamon together and pour over the hot cross buns.
- Place the tops (cross-side-up) onto the pudding mixture and squash down gently so that they are able to soak up some custard as ell.
- Allow to soak in well for about 30 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 – 40 minutes until the egg mixture is just set and the tops are golden and crispy.
- You can add extra dried fruit if you like, or chocolate chips.
- Serve with cream, custard, or ice-cream.