- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onions to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally until caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger to the onions and stir constantly for one minute.
- Add pumpkin pieces.
- Add 1/4 cup of the chicken stock and use a wooden spoon to scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the remaining chicken broth and water and stir to combine.
- Turn heat to low and simmer the soup for 30 minutes or until pumpkin is soft.
- Turn the stove off and use a handheld immersion blender to puree the soup. Alternately, use a regular blender and puree the soup in 2-3 batches.
- Stir the heavy cream into the soup, serve immediately with warm or toasted bread if desired.
Note: Grate some Parmesan cheese on top to make this soup extra special!