At a glance
Approx 1 hour 15 minutes
- 2 eggplants, halved lengthways
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp sesame paste (tahini)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and pearce the skin of the eggplants with a fork, in several places.
- Brush the cut faces of the eggplants lightly with olive oil and plane on a baking tray, cut side down.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes, until tender. Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes.
- Scoop out the flesh of the eggplants and place into a bowl. Mash roughly with a fork.
- Add the garlic, remaining olive oil, sesame paste, cumin, lemon juice, pinch of salt and pepper and mash together well until mostly smooth.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, then season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Scrape into a serving bowl and drizzle a little olive oil on top and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with lavosh.