- In a double boiler over barely simmering water, combine chocolate, butter and heavy cream. Heat until chocolate is melted. Stir until you have a smooth mixture.
- Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla.
- Pour into a shallow casserole dish and cool to room temperature.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 2 hours. If you refrigerate longer than two hours, the mixture will be too hard to work with. If this occurs, allow the mixture to sit at room temperature until pliable enough to work with.
- Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper. Using a small scoop (2 teaspoons) or a melon baller, scoop out chocolate mixture, roll into approximately 3cm diameter balls, and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Roll balls in your desired coating.
Choc Mint Truffles: add peppermint essence
Mocha Truffles: add instant coffee when you are melting the chocolate
Jaffa Truffles: add orange zest
Warming Chilli Truffles: add a tiny bit of chili powder to the truffle mix
OR add finely chopped macadamia nuts to the truffle mix, or roll in finely chopped nuts.