- Sift together the dry ingredients in a large glass bowl.
- In a small pot, heat the milk and butter over a low temperature until the butter is melted and the mixture is combined.
- Add the milk and butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add your egg and combine.
- Finally stir in the dried fruit or chocolate and knead through.
- Sprinkle a little bit of flour onto a flat surface and turn the dough out. Knead for about 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in the bowl and cover with a tea towel. Allow to rise for 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, portion it into the buns and place on a baking tray. Allow to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C
- Mix together the gluten free self raising flour and boiling water and stir until it forms a smooth paste.
- Use either a piping bag or simple spoon the mixture over the buns to form the crosses.
- Bake the buns in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through. Top with the cinnamon glaze.
- Create your cinnamon glaze while the buns are cooking. Put a small pot over low-medium heat.
- Place the caster sugar, cinnamon and water into the pot and stir well until the sugar dissolves.
- Brush the glaze over the top and serve the hot cross buns immediately.
Click here to see the original recipe on The Aussie Coeliac