Salamanca fresh have said goodbye to plastic shopping bags in our stores!
This decision was reached through extensive research, feedback and suggestions from our valued customers and overwhelming community support. Environmental sustainability is incredibly important to us and this is one of the many steps that we are taking to reduce our impact on the environment.
The following options are still available for carrying your purchases home:
- Customers’ own reusable shopping bags
- FREE cardboard box
- Paper bag (20c each)
- Salamanca Fresh hessian reusable bag ($2.90 each)
Here are some of the actions we have already taken to reduce our environmental impact on the world:
- No plastic wrapping on whole cauliflowers, fresh locally grown herbs and bunch lines (e.g. kale & silverbeet).
- Encourage BYO containers for takeaway meals and deli items sold buy weight, including fresh meat from the butcher
- Encourage BYO coffee cups and mugs for takeaway coffees
- Sell a large hardy, long wearing hessian shopping bag at a great price. We were the first to introduce an alternative to plastic bags, with our hessian bags first being made available in 1998. Customers have reported that these durable bags are still in great condition after 20 years of use!
- Recycle all cardboard boxes
- Strongly support local suppliers, reducing food miles
- Provide paper bags for cakes and fresh bread
- Use paper trays instead of plastic trays for cakes
- Battery recycling units available in every Salamanca Fresh store.
We are are currently working on many more changes within our stores, so stay tuned. We also love to hear our customers’ feedback and suggestions, so if there is something more you think we could be doing, please let us know via our contact form here.